Share Tweet NewsRegional Detentions, arrests significant features of St Catherine operation by: – June 18, 2018 Share Sharing is caring! Share 25 Views no discussions (Jamaica Observer) Just a few weeks before the scheduled end to the state of emergency (SOE) in St Catherine North, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Gary Griffiths, ground commander, said since the operation began on March 18, there have been significant gains in the division, including the arrest of a number of people connected to gangs and the recovery of guns.“From the operation, 3,807 people have been detained and interviewed, and 362 arrested and charged. There are also additional persons who have been picked up and interviewed but not processed [under the SOE],” he said.“Twenty-one wanted men were picked up, but it is important to note that these persons were not all processed as part of the state of emergency. These are persons known to police. If they are wanted and picked up they don’t go through [SOE] processing. These are persons from areas that include St Catherine North, Clarendon, St Ann, and St Catherine South. For serious offences, seven persons of interest are yet to be picked up.”In addition, SSP Griffiths shared that out of the operations 11 firearms — inclusive of two imitation firearms and one home-made firearm — had been seized. He, however expressed disappointment with the number of guns found.“Imitation firearms cannot discharge rounds. They resemble the real ones and can be used to bring fear in robberies and in sexual offences. The locally manufactured firearms can discharge rounds. People assemble some parts and they can be used to kill or maim. But we were expecting to find more guns going in; however, that was not the case,” he said.But though the state of public emergency has yielded results for the security forces, it has, said residents, resulted in much frustration for motorists, as well as some loss of productivity.Yesterday, on a visit to St Catherine North, some residents told the Jamaica Observer that they do not want the security measure extended, claiming that the ongoing operation had resulted in job and productivity losses.“The traffic hold-up is my greatest issue with it. It has caused many persons to lose their jobs. You can’t make the boss money and people have lost their jobs over it, so they need to do their thing better,” a taxi operator who called himself “Blacka” said.“I don’t think it should be extended. We are in a better place now and I don’t think things will go back to where they were,” Dennis Darlington, a Bog Walk taxi operator added.Others describe hours in traffic to get in and out of communities surrounding the SOE, resulting in late arrivals at school and work, no matter how early they set out.Meanwhile, other residents describe the current peace as a “tense calm” as they expressed uncertainty as to whether they will welcome another extension of the security measure, which should come to an end on July 3.“We’re seeing a lot of progress, but we can’t talk out. The fear factor is still there. If you speak they say you’re an informer, but the security forces are doing good work. The citizens want [peace] and many more would talk out but they are still afraid,” a man who identified himself as Cleveland S said.He added, though, that should the state of public emergency end on July 3, and not be extended, he is sure that St Catherine North, which includes Spanish Town, Twickenham Park, Old Harbour Road, Bog Walk, and Linstead, plus their environs, will go back to square one.“This has to be a long-term thing until all the criminal elements are weeded out. There is still more to do. Even if they pull out now, close to November or December the extortionists will come right back and tell the proprietors to pay up for those times they weren’t collecting,” he said.And though many of the vendors, taxi operators and residents remained mum and shared that they were still fearful yesterday, they said they would just have to live with the decision of Parliament regarding another extension.“Whatsoever they come with I’m OK, but I think it’s good, as it has cut out a lot of crime,” a resident who called himself C Duncan said.Some hoped for an extension, if only for a continuation of peace in their communities.“I have no problem with it; you don’t hear the gunshots anymore, and there is no killing,” Annmarie said.Added “Bounty”, a taxi operator: “I like to see the soldiers. They bring a sense of calm and peace. From they are here you don’t hear of any disturbances in the place.”“It should go on for a next seven years. In order to break a habit, something has to be continuous,” another taxi operator said.For his part, SSP Griffiths maintained that he is satisfied that enough work is being done to reduce violence in the division and added that the social interventions in St Catherine North are ongoing.“We’ve had several publicised meetings, stakeholder groups have been formed right across the division, and the achievements thus far are significant to reduce the violence in the area,” he said.“I don’t know why residents would conclude that it is a tense calm. I don’t know what they know that the police don’t know. I don’t envision things will go back to what they used to be. We have arrested a number of persons connected to gangs and we have made sufficient improvements,” he said.Prime Minister Andrew Holness declared the SOE for St Catherine North, initially for 14 days, after the division experienced 48 murders between January 1 and March 18.Last year, 136 people were killed in St Catherine North, home to the largest gang in the island, the Klansman gang, which is reportedly responsible for scores of murders, robberies and extortion within the division and its environs.On March 27, 49 Members of Parliament voted in favour of a resolution to extend the security measure for three months, up to July 3.
Related TopicsCavs Matt Medley Matt Medley is co-editor at NEO Sports Insiders, covers the Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Indians and high school sports in Northeast Ohio.Follow @MedleyHoops on Twitter for live updates from games. The 2016 NBA Champion Cleveland Cavaliers will return to Cleveland at approximately 11:30 AM on Monday morning. Their plane will fly into Atlantic Aviation (6200 Riverside Dr., Cleveland, OH 44135) across from the IX Center. Media is welcome to cover the team’s arrival and fans can attend as well, as parking and space allows around the IX Center. LeBron said he can’t wait to see all the fans waiting for him and the team when they arrive.”I can’t wait to get off that plane, hold that trophy up & see all our fans” – @KingJames https://t.co/gSAud4gxYQ— FOX Sports: Hoops (@HoopsonFOX) June 20, 2016
Sports Logo News Sports Logos Forums Home KCScout76 Link to post My alone time is for everyone’s safety By KCScout76, September 11, 2006 in Sports Logo News All Activity Univ of Louisiana-Monroe Sports Logos Followers 0 Recommended Posts Posted September 11, 2006 132 132 (edited) 132 Sign in to follow this Forums Home Location:Lee’s Summit, Missouri Share this post 7,012 posts Here are some pix of the Warhawks new unis (on the Road at Kansas).KU won 21-19. I love KU’s unis. Rock Chalk Jayhawk – sorry this is suppose to be about the Warhawks. Nice unis – simple and clean looking.I noted that none of the players had their jersey’s tucked in – all pix that I saw had them pulled out and hanging over the pants. SportsLogos.Net Members SportsLogos.Net Sports Logo News Go To Topic Listing Share on other sites All Activity Followers 0 Edited September 11, 2006 by KCScout76 This topic is now closed to further replies. Univ of Louisiana-Monroe KCScout76 Sign in to follow this 0 Univ of Louisiana-Monroe
Takvim report Serie A side Fiorentina are very close to beating Leicester City for the signature of Fenerbahce youngster Eljif Elmas. The Macedonian midfielder has been linked with a move to the Premier League, with Cardiff City and Leicester City said to be interested, but according to Takvim Fiorentina are close to sealing a deal for the 19 year old.In today’s edition they report Fiorentina have offered €15m to Fenerbahce to sign Elmas and the Super Lig club are ready to accept this bid so they can bring in new players in the summer transfer window.Due to FFP implications Fenerbahce must sell some players to create a transfer budget.It’s reported again that Leicester City are keen to sign the talented midfielder, but it seems Fiorentina will beat them with their latest offer.Elmas has made 34 appearances for Fenerbahce in all competitions this season but his progression has been halted due to the poor campaign the Yellow Canaries have been experiencing.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameDon’t Play This Game, it’s Addictive.Forge of Empires – Free Online GameUndoRaid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadEven Non-Gamers Are Obsessed With This RPG Game (It’s Worth Installing!)Raid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadUndoDating.comTung Chung is actually full of single men. Check them out on this premium dating site!Dating.comUndo熱門話題小心會瘦過快…網友推爆:「真的瘦的超誇張!」熱門話題UndoHero WarsGetting this Treasure is impossible! Prove us wrong!Hero WarsUndoPerfect-Dating.comThousands of successful men are looking for women in Tung ChungPerfect-Dating.comUndoCoworking Space | Search AdsThe cost of shared office in Hong Kong might surprise youCoworking Space | Search AdsUndoSmart Tech TrendSelf Adjusting Glasses Take Hong Kong by StormSmart Tech TrendUndoInstant Voice TranslatorGenius Japanese Invention Allows You To Instantly Speak 43 LanguagesInstant Voice TranslatorUndo