Hamilton drives it like he owns it

first_imgLewis Hamilton’s father always told him to ‘drive like you stole it’ but there was never any question about who owned Sunday’s U.S. Grand Prix.The Mercedes driver did not start on pole, that honour denied him by team mate and title rival Nico Rosberg in Saturday qualifying, but the Briton knew he had something special going on.Hamilton feels at home in the United States, where he spends time with singer girlfriend Nicole Scherzinger and friends in Los Angeles, and won the inaugural race at the Circuit of the Americas in 2012.As he took the chequered flag for his 10th win of the season, and fifth in succession, the championship leader entered the record books as the British driver with most Formula One wins — his 32 now one more than 1992 champion Nigel Mansell.“Once I got past Nico it was really just about controlling it,” he told the crowd in a podium interview with 1978 champion Mario Andretti, the last U.S. driver to take the title.Later, once he had tried Andretti’s black Stetson sheriff’s hat for size, he told reporters: “Before the race there’s a lot you can do to really understand what opportunities could come up and in different scenarios, how you approach it, and I felt very much on top of that as I have done for quite some time.“I just went into the race with the belief that I could win it,” he added.“I went into the race thinking I need another race just like 2012 and it was just like that. I was catching him through exactly the same points at which I was catching Sebastian (Vettel in 2012).“There wasn’t a moment in the race when I didn’t think that I would get him. Once I was past, as I said, I was able to relax for a second and really try to manage the tyres.”The move, when it came, was on the 24th lap — a fitting number since the win sent him 24 points clear of Rosberg with two races remaining and a maximum of 75 points available.It could still be that he ends up with 11 wins and no title, a casualty of the new rules that allow double points for the final round in Abu Dhabi, but on Sunday he was not thinking of that.Instead, Hamilton was fizzing with the excitement of another win on the continent where he took his first two victories in his debut 2007 season.The manner in which he took the lead, an aggressive swashbuckling pass through the inside as Rosberg braked early and went slightly wide into turn 12, was the mark of a true champion.“I had been planning that for many laps and just never really got close enough,” said Hamilton.“The opportunity was there and I knew there was a big head wind into that corner. All weekend there’s been a head wind into turn 11 and today it turned around, so it was a head wind into 12. So braking there was really strong.“I felt really confident going into there, I had the slipstream and I pulled out, out-braked him. But it was really important that I didn’t lock up and out-brake myself and go wide,” he added.last_img read more


100% fit and ready

first_imgLa Salle, San Beda forge Filoil title duel Pacquiao will take a break Sunday, before getting back to the gym in Brisbane on Monday for his final four-round sparring.Though Roach said Friday’s sparring wasn’t the best among the 118 rounds they’ve spent thus far, he expressed elation that he’s seeing traces of the Pacquiao of old. Happy, fiery, feisty.“I see the old Manny, I like what I’m seeing,” said Roach.Pacquiao was again in a jovial mood, telling Fortune “I love this game,” as he was skipping rope.“If you love what you are doing you never get tired of doing it. I’ve been doing this for 25 years.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments Gerald: Just because I’ve been bashed doesn’t mean I’d stop working Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite LATEST STORIES Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer Still, Pacquiao wouldn’t guarantee that the long-awaited knockout will come when he dangles his World Boxing Organization welterweight crown against Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane on July 2.“Let’s see,” said Pacquiao. “We can’t underestimate our opponent, he’s unbeaten (16 wins, one draw, 11 knockouts). What I did was to make sure that I’m 100 percent (fit and ready) for the fight.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnSPORTSBreak new groundWith the way he performed in his six rounds of sparring, three each against Filipino Sonny Katiandagho and Aussie George Kambosos, it was evident that Pacquiao was holding back for the 12-round bout set at the 52,500-seat Suncorp Stadium.Reason: Pacquiao admitted that his 38-year-old body is no longer responding the same way it used to when he was younger. For Ina, portraying a zombie is like an ‘out-of-body experience’ GEN. SANTOS CITY—Manny Pacquiao swears his speed is back and so are the hard punches after the conclusion of his gym work here Friday.ADVERTISEMENT Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet MOST READ Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ “I tried to push myself, but I felt differently when I was 20 to 25 year old. Back then, when you work hard in training, overnight you’ll already be fully recovered. But now, as you age, when you work hard it would take time to recover your strength. So more rest, yes.”For now, however, Pacquiao feels ready to wage war against Horn.“I’m already in fight mode. I’m focused.”Chief trainer Freddie Roach and strength and conditioning coach Justin Fortune agree.That’s why they decided to cancel Saturday’s training so that Pacquiao can rest for the direct flight to Brisbane, via a chartered Air Asia A333 jet, set at 11 a.m.ADVERTISEMENT A dream fulfilled for Christian Trump invites Duterte again to visit US – this time for March summit Swing Out Sister back to PH this April 7 NPA members surrender in Isabela provincelast_img read more


19-year-old committed to stand trial in High Court

first_imgNicholas Hercules, called “Bucko”, 19, was committed to stand trial in the High Court for the murder of his relative, 22-year-old Carlos Solomon by Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Monday.The accused first appeared before Magistrate Fabayo Azore to answer to the capital charge which stated that on April 1, 2015 at Princes Street, Georgetown, he murdered Solomon called “Roy”.On Monday, Magistrate Latchman stated that she has found that there was sufficient evidence for the accused to face trial before a judge and jury.However, the accused continue to plead his innocence, stating that “I’m innocent of this charge”.The matter will be called at the next criminal assizes.The court heard that on the day in question, Hercules pulled out a knife and dealt Solomon a stab to his armpit.Solomon was subsequently rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he later succumbed to the injury sustained.last_img read more


State schools superintendent visits area

first_img“This new, hyper-competitive economy requires students to have better critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills,” he said in a speech at the Industry Hills Expo Center. O’Connell noted some achievements at the school district, including Giano Intermediate School’s improved scores on the Academic Performance Index. He also mentioned the awards the schools received, such as the National Blue Ribbon and Distinguished Schools honors. “This district is a triple crown winner,” he said. But the state superintendent said that challenge of closing the achievement gap remains, and teachers need to work diligently toward teaching every child. The California student body is now nearly 50 percent Latino students and 31 percent white, O’Connell said. Half of the state’s students come from low-income households and more than 40 percent of students speak another language when they are home, he added. Photo Gallery: Back-to-school celebration INDUSTRY – Jack O’Connell urged Rowland Unified School District administrators and teachers Tuesday to step up their efforts to ensure students are getting the best education. The state superintendent of public instruction’s talk with the staff was part of an annual district Employee Back-to-School Kick-off Celebration, which drew about 2,100 K-12 teachers, classified and maintenance staff. O’Connell’s visit to the San Gabriel Valley also included a visit to Pomona Unified School District. Rowland Superintendent Maria Ott also highlighted district achievements and paid tribute to the staff for their hard work and said she expects another successful school year. caroline.an@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2108160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more


DONE DEAL! Preston land Dundalk duo Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan

first_img1 New Preston signings Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan Preston have confirmed their double swoop for Irish duo Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan from Dundalk.The Republic of Ireland internationals will join Preston on January 1 after agreeing two-and-a-half-year deals at Deepdale.Boyle is a 25-year-old centre back while Horgan, 24, has made his name as a goalscoring winger at Dundalk, where he notched 27 times in 132 outings.And Preston manager Simon Grayson says they had to hold off competition from a number of clubs in order to secure the double signing.Grayson told the club’s official website: “We have signed two players who have attracted a lot of interest from a lot of clubs over the past few weeks and months and we have had to work hard to get them, which shows our intent as a football club.“Both players have had great seasons in their league and in Europe, leading to their call ups for the Irish squad. They are young, hungry and looking to improve and will be excellent acquisitions for us.”last_img read more


Aston Villa chairman Tony Xia fined by FA after Twitter outburst

first_imgAston Villa chairman Tony Xia has been fined £4,000 and warned about his future conduct by the Football Association after a tweet suggesting a referee was against the club. The Chinese businessman criticised official Jeremy Simpson after Villa’s 1-0 win over Bolton last month and has admitted an FA misconduct charge. Simpson sent off Neil Taylor in injury time, but still awarded Villa a penalty which Jonathan Kodjia scored to win the Championship game.Xia wrote: “Is the ref a AVhater? Not our day but 3points only matters. Need keep going after the break. Consistency is the key this season.”But the FA took a dim view and hit Xia with a fine and a warning. A statement read: “Tony Xia has been fined £4,000 and warned as to his future conduct after admitting an FA misconduct charge.“The Aston Villa owner and chairman made comments via social media on Saturday 30 September 2017, which constituted improper conduct in that they questioned the integrity of the match official and/or alleged and/or implied bias on the part of the match official, and/or brought the game into disrepute, contrary to FA Rule E3(1).“The matter was heard before an Independent Regulatory Commission.” 1 Aston Villa chairman Tony Xia has been warned about his future conduct last_img read more


VOTING FOR NEW DONEGAL TOWN MAYOR GETS UNDERWAY

first_imgVoting to elect the new Mayor of Donegal Town will get underway later this morning.There are three candidates are contesting the honorary position – outgoing Mayor Paul Keeney, Patricia Callaghan and Tom Conaghan.Voting takes place today in the St John Bosco centre from 10am and polls will remain open unitl 8pm. Anyone over the age of 16 can vote as well as paid up members of Donegal Town Community Chamber.EndsVOTING FOR NEW DONEGAL TOWN MAYOR GETS UNDERWAY was last modified: March 25th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Joe Garner: Graeme Murty has improved Rangers players

first_img“If I go back through the games, I definitely should have a lot more goals. “But I’m getting the chances so hopefully with a bit of luck a few will start going in.” Garner will have to wait for another chance to score, with the striker suspended for Rangers trip to face Celtic next week.“I’m gutted to be suspended,” he said. “But the lads will go there full of confidence and hopefully we get a good result. “We’ve had a few bad results away from home but we’ve now put back-to-back wins together at Ibrox so we’ll go into the Celtic game after a good victory.” Rangers striker Joe Garner has paid tribute to caretaker manager Graeme Murty and says the team have improved during his time in charge.Murty was asked to step in following Mark Warburton’s departure from Ibrox and has had mixed results in his short time in the dugout. However, Garner says Murty’s work has benefited the side and they saw the results in a 6-0 demolition of Hamilton in the Scottish Cup quarter final on Saturday.“There’s been quite a bit of criticism but the lads played really well today and hopefully we can take that form on to the Celtic game next week,” Garner said. “The lads have improved under Graeme with every week. “We spoke about it before the game, about how good a job he’s done. I think all his hard work paid off today with the result and performance. “Should he be involved in the new set-up? That’s nothing to do with the players, it’s the board’s decision. “I’m sure they’ll make the right one but certainly, he deserves a lot of credit today.”Garner scored a hat-trick in the cup win and was optimistic that he can go on to build on his treble and make more of an impact in the remainder of the season.He said: “I feel I’ve had a lot of chances recently but they just haven’t been going in. I hit the post in midweek against St Johnstone and should have scored. last_img read more


Arbroath boss gets lengthy ban for storming pitch

first_img“It was an old fashioned Scottish Cup tie but never a 4-1 result.”The ban comes on the same day as Campbell was named as Ladbrokes League One Manager of the Month.You can view the incident from 11:25 on the video below. Following the match, Campbell had explained his anger, saying that Roncone had blundered by failing to award a spot kick.“I have never seen a more blatant penalty in my life – if it’s not a penalty he has to book the player for diving,” he said.“Every Ayr United supporter saw it. I hope the supervisor questions the referee’s performance – the decisions he made today put us out of the cup and made a major impact on the game.“There is no word in the English dictionary to describe why it’s not a penalty. Arbroath manager Dick Campbell has been hit with a seven-match ban after storming on to the pitch to confront the referee during a Scottish Cup tie. Campbell was charged with misconduct by the Scottish FA after angry scenes during Arbroath’s 4-1 cup defeat at Ayr United on January 21.The manager was enraged by referee Mike Roncone’s decision not to award his side a penalty when his side were 2-0 down and he marched on to the pitch to confront the match official. Roncone sent Campbell to the stands but he was summoned to Hampden to answer questions about his behaviour.An independent panel found him guilty of misconduct and handed the veteran manager a five-game touchline ban to be served immediately, with a further two games suspended until the end of the 2018/19 season.last_img read more


Fly the Flag for Football Toolkit

first_imgSouth African football fans.(Image: Chris Kirchhoff,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com. For morefree photos, visit the image library)Brand South Africa has produced a toolkit that organisations and individuals can use to get 2010 Fifa World Cup fever going among all South Africans.The Fly the Flag for Football presentation offers a number of tools and downloads for encouraging enthusiasm for the upcoming football extravaganza, organised according to four activation ideas:Football FridaysFly the Flag for FootballThe Diski DanceThe national anthemView the presentation in your browser now by clicking on the link below, or right-click to save it to your computer:The Fly the Flag for Football ToolkitBrand South Africa+27 11 483-0122info@brandsouthafrica.comlast_img read more